Monday, July 26, 2010

Powder coat a bicycle frame?

How expensive is it to powder coat an old bike frame? Im going to restore my old beach cruiser and give to my wife as a gift... im curious if I should do a nice spray paint job or have it powder coated. any tips? Thanks!Powder coat a bicycle frame?
I think power coat is very durable and actually great idea. I did the same thing with my bicycle many years ago. The cost was under $80 at that time.Powder coat a bicycle frame?
I do powder coating. There are so many cool colors now. I did the aero bars and bottle cages in chrome then blue over that and they look like blue chrome. Very cool. Hard to say how much it would cost you. Look in the yellow pages in your town and call up a shop, I'm sure they will tell you.
My LBS (local bike shop) powdercoated my 18 year old GT Outpost trail. It looks wonderful. First they take the bike entirely apart, the painter strips the paint, sand down any dents and dings. In some cases they have to build up deep dents. My frame though had no dents, no crashes, just some scratches.





Rust is the enemy of your steel frame so powdercoat is a way to protect your investment.





I chose plain paint, no logos, but might get a custom decal added with my name.





Then they re-build the bike.





Painting cost $150, the re-build well it was time for a tune up and true the wheels anyway so it's part of that.





The results are beautiful, a one of a kind bike.
If you want some great guys, look at:





http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/





I don't think they're cheap, but I've heard good things about them.
I like the look of a good paint job more than powdercoat. You can sometimes get your bike done free or very cheaply at auto refinishing shops. It's easier for them to apply paint than dispose of it properly, so they'll often use up a pot for cheap.





If you go the powdercoating route, and if you have an aluminum frame, BE SURE that you take it to a place that knows aluminum, preferably an aircraft shop. The tempering of aluminum is very precise and there are all kinds of horror stories about frames that buckled when the riders rode them after the powdercoating process. If you have a steel frame, you don't have anything to worry about. There are some powdercoaters that won't do bike frames because of this, so check them out and be sure they can do it properly.





The only other thing (with either method) is that you want to make sure they protect the threaded areas. Rubber stoppers in the bottom bracket shell, screws and bolts in the other places. If they don't do this, you'll probably need to take the frame into a bike shop that has the proper cutting and facing tools afterwards.
  • makeup advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment