Friday, July 23, 2010

Can I have my old brake calipers powder coated???

I was calling around a few shops and one business said the calipers are porous and the fluid would drain out in the process, is this true?Can I have my old brake calipers powder coated???
yes you can get them powder coated, IF the calipers were 'porous' they wouldn't be much good as brake parts, they'd leak brake fluid and be bad to drive with.





I would suspect that you would have to be able to totally disassemble the calipers, removing the piston and seals, that way the powder coat process wouldn't mess up those parts of the caliper. you probably would have to do a good job of pre-cleaning the old units before you take them to the powder coat place, Ask around a few motorcycle shops about who they suggest to do the workCan I have my old brake calipers powder coated???
if brake calipers were porous how the hell would they withstand internally the huge hydraulic pressures generated when you push the pedal. I can understand if they mean remove the rubber seals and pistons first then bring the caliper in for powder coating. Have you thought about simply rubbing them down and painting them yourself. Dead easy and look great through a pair of quality alloys. Hope this helps.
You can have anything powder coated if it is done properly. True a porous caliper will not hold a coat well but that can be prevented by resufacing the caliper.





Honestly man a high-temp. paint will work just as well. My calipers are as fresh as the day i painted them 2 years ago.





Hope i helped. Peace
how are we supposed to know...we don't know what kind of brakes you have, car you have or what the heck you wanna coat something for, when you can buy new, for less money...
Powder coating is similar to painting. WTF? Maybe you are thinking about something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment