Friday, July 23, 2010

Can you powder coat EMT conduit?

I have fabricated two flagpoles out of 3/4'; EMT conduit that I have attached to my motorcycle for patriot guard rider events. I want to get them powder coated flat black to match my bike but am not sure if this material can be powder coated since it is meant for electrical applications. Please let me know if this is a possibility. Thanks!Can you powder coat EMT conduit?
Now THIS is an interesting question!





I think if you can thoroughly clean the oils off of the surface of the galvanized conduit (the processing stuff stays on the conduit, and the powder coat will likely not adhere well) - I suggest brake cleaning fluid or carb cleaner - you should be able to get a decent powder coat on it.





If that doesn't seem like a possibility, use a primer meant for that type of metal, and then color/clear coat it with some quality paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment