Monday, July 26, 2010

Is it better to powder coat or paint motorbike bits? like frame/wheels as I'm restoring a Suzuki GSXR 250?

I would dispute Roundthreads assertion that powder coating is a matt finish. Powder coating is a different process to plastic coating, and involves electrostatically attracting the paint powder to the item being finished and then baking in an oven. If your finishes are matt, change your powder coater. Finish should be high gloss. No comparison as far as longevity is concerned. Powder coating wins hands down.Is it better to powder coat or paint motorbike bits? like frame/wheels as I'm restoring a Suzuki GSXR 250?
powder coat as it can withstand alot more abuse than paint depending on what you,ll be using your bike for.


i found with mine when i painted as i am prone to speed and i put my bikes through alot that the paint doesn,t last that long and needed to be redone after a year now it has been powder coated and so far fingers crossed it has lasted over 2 years and no sign of needing a recoat yet.





if it is a vintage bike and will only be used every so often then paint is cheap and gives a good finish too.Is it better to powder coat or paint motorbike bits? like frame/wheels as I'm restoring a Suzuki GSXR 250?
Powder coat is good for plane finishes but you just can't get the deep look out of powder coat.


It is strong and durable but you just can't get the look out of it that you can with a quality paint.


To me powder coat looks more like a rattle can paint job.


I have to admit though the textured powder coat finishes do look good but the gloss finishes look cheap to me.
Powder coating is more expensive, but will be much more hard wearing, as it's tougher
Powder coat. It is stronger than paint.
Why bother, I used to beat those Suzuki 250s with a 250 BSA, a standard BSA 250 Barracuda, like new ones 2000 miles old run in with an old clapped BSA which blew it self to bits every 2000 miles or so but was so easy to rebuild it was back on the road within 2 days almost every time, so the thought of anyone restoring a GXR 250 is to me laughable.





Seriously though I hesitate to powder coat anything old, there is always a danger of weakening it especially alloy wheels so paint would be my preferred option, I have used epoxy enamel, a wonderful substrance to trap moisture and allow the metal to rust happily unseen.
Depends entirely on the finish you want. A high gloss finish is best achieved with a professional paint job, especially if you want to go for a metalflake or similar effect. Powder coating is the one for heavy-duty finishes, which can be matt, satin or gloss, but tends to be a flat-looking colour.
Powder coating is far more durable.
Powder coat. I had my bike resprayed by DreamMachine (uk) this year, they did not charge me a fortune and it looks absolutely stunning! Let me know if you want the details, but you can google them!
Powder coat is more durable-but also more expensive, I,de go with the paint.
powder coating for def,its more durable than paint and on top of that it looks better,especially when restoring a bike it will bring it up that little bit better
Powder coating while more expensive lasts a lot longer, cause it is difficult to chip, if you can I would powder coat.
Its gotta be powder coat for durability but bear in mind the finish is a plastic and therefore not glossy.
depends on your preferance and how deep your pockets are
Powder coat works better when there is extreme heat involved. Normal metal paint is OK where there is not a lot of heat (from the motor, exhaust, etc)
As far as frames, powder coating is the only way to go, the stuff's almost bullet proof. You can dent the metal with a hammer, and the coating won't chip off.


If you want colored wheels instead of chrome, powder coat em. My wheels are powder coated black (see my 360).


Basically, I would powder coat anything I could. HOWEVER, like chrome, it WILL add thickness to the parts, so you'll have to open hole, chase threads, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment