Monday, July 26, 2010

I want to make my own gerbil cage, does it matter if i use PVC coated wire? - I cant find any powder coated?

It's all basically the same thing. I'm pretty sure that as long as the wire is coated, it should be fine. Powder coating is basically plastic anyway, which is what PVC is.





I commend you for wanting to make a cage for your gerbil. I made a cage for my rats when I first got them. I can tell you that I wish I had just bought a regular cage. The idea of making your own is nice because you can make the cage how you want it, but they are never as nice as a real cage and people almost always end up buying one.





Also, I do not know if you are aware of this, but do not use wood for your cage. Wood can absorb urine and it will eventually start to smell. I don't know much about gerbils, but if you need to use wood at all, use 'melamite board.' At least I think that's what it's called. I'm sure you know what it is, the wood with the white coating that a lot of cabinets and shelves are made out of? The coating does not absorb the urine, but it can be pretty expensive.





Good Luck!I want to make my own gerbil cage, does it matter if i use PVC coated wire? - I cant find any powder coated?
I remember hearing once of a company that you could send the cage to for coating. However, building your own cage is probably going to be more expensive and time consuming that just buying one.





You could get closet shelving, for example http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/S鈥?/a> . I don't know if these are coated, but some of the shelves sold are.





If you do decide to just buy a cage, this is a great place http://www.martinscages.com/ . The rat cages are powder coated. The gerbil cages are galvanized, but uncoated wire starts to smell of urine after only a short time.I want to make my own gerbil cage, does it matter if i use PVC coated wire? - I cant find any powder coated?
I have no idea good luck











http://www.toboc.com/forum3/default.aspx?g=posts%26amp;m=1631


http://www.toboc.com/forum3/default.aspx?g=posts%26amp;t=1601
i cant anwser this question sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment