Friday, July 23, 2010

Can i house my rats in a cage that is non powder-coated?

I'm making a grotto style cage for my rats.


the instructions say to use Powder- caoted wire mesh, but the problem is that I can't find any.





would it be ok to go ahead and use plain (non- powder coated, non galvanized) screening/wire/wire mesh for my cage?





alos, i haven't seen ';hardware cloth'; anywhere either, wich i have been told I could use for the cage.Can i house my rats in a cage that is non powder-coated?
If you're making a grotto style rat cage then the only part that would need the wire is the front right? If that's the case, then the plain mesh should be ok. Usually it's not best since it can erode over time because of the rat urine. If you are making shelves out of that material too then I would cover them with some sort of removable fleece or plastic covering because rats that walk on wire all the time can develop a condition called bumblefoot. However, if you're using like a book case type deal and the shelving is solid, then you're good ;) If you're shelving is wood too know that it will soak up the urine and smell quite bad over time.Can i house my rats in a cage that is non powder-coated?
Yes its fine! But I would just buy a cage you would save money. but whatever you want! Have fun with your new rat there awsome!

No comments:

Post a Comment