Friday, July 23, 2010

Can you powder coat a shot gun?

my mossberg 500 12 ga is a great shooting gun. i use it for duck / dove hunting. it is a used gun it has some light to one moderate scratch. i tried bluing it but the blue rubs of. i need to now if i can powder coat it. if i can what do you recommendCan you powder coat a shot gun?
Powder coating is probably not something you could do. I don't believe it has to be heated high enough to affect the metal. You could have a gunsmith re-blue it. There is a product called Dura-coat, I believe, that is similar to a paint that can be applied to guns. I seem to remember that it has to be heated to 150 F or so in an oven to cure it. I have never used it but a lot of people swear by it. You should be able to find it at midway.Can you powder coat a shot gun?
Powder coating something like that would be kind of hard...





You would have to heat the barrel/receiver up to a point where you would start affecting the temper/heat treat of the barrel, possibly leading to a rather dangerous situation. Even the aluminum receiver might not respond well to heat (warping will spell the end of it).





Just have it re-blued... so much more simple.
I don't know 100% here, this is what I think. Powder coat is a very hard substance muck like ceramic. I have seen it chip off when applied to metal that is subject to vibration. The other thing is that it is baked on at high temperature. I think the high heat may take the temper out of the barrel or possibly warp it. Those would just be my concerns.
Why ruin the value of such a great gun. take it to a gun smith and have it re blued. To have it powder coated would cost about the same.
I recommend Duracoat. This stuff is anti rust, more durable than parkerizing, and you can get any color. The mossberg 500 is cheap, not even worth the duracoat or even rebluing.
The nearest thing to powder coat in a gun finish is Parkerizing. This can be done by a gunsmith, also.
  • makeup advice
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment